All About Rhinegeist
When Rhinegeist opened their doors in 2013, they (along with MadTree) really set the model for what a small independent brewery was able to be in a city like Cincinnati. They grew fast and fierce, using the excited drinkers and the new taproom laws in Ohio to build a rabid fanbase in OTR. They constantly push out new beers via their rarity series, and their cans can be seen in bars and beer shops all across Cincinnati. Their flagship IPA, called Truth stands out with its bright green cans, and you’ll see it all over town when you’re looking.
They may have made a name for themselves with their west-coast inspired IPAs and Pale Ales, but the brewery is always expanding what they make with the addition of ciders and a robust barrel program too. The possibilities for what could come from Rhinegeist in the future is nearly limitless.
What’s Rhinegeist Like?
If you want to show someone what Cincinnati beer is all about, and capture a real ‘Wow’ factor in doing so – you should go to Rhinegeist. There aren’t many beer experiences in Cincinnati that compare to that first moment you walk up the flight of stairs to end up in the expansive Rhinegeist taproom that was once home to a historic brewery. It takes the breath away from tourist after tourist on their first visit.
The taproom is absolutely massive and features plenty of games and activities to keep you entertained. Ping Pong, Cornhole, and sometimes even a Wiffle Ball field are set up. This is a place you can hang out all night with every single one of your friends, regardless of how many you have.
If you’re looking for a nice quiet space to spend a summer evening, the rooftop deck at Rhinegeist offers up a view of the city that’s to die for. Still sitting here reading this? Go. Go now.
The Complete Rhinegeist Timeline
- June 29th, 2013 – Rhinegeist hosts their Grand Opening celebration in their massive, historic taproom space.
- November 11th – It becomes clear that the brewery will be wasting no time in expanding… fast. They install 2 80bbl fermenters and an 80bbl brite tank.
- April 2014 – Rhinegeist brings their capacity to 760bbls with the installation of 2 big 120bbl fermenters.
- July 2014 – by their first anniversary the brewery had their beer on shelves of only 5 Kroger stores.
- September 2014 – More than 60 Kroger stores are now selling Rhinegeist beer.
- Winter of 2014 – Rhinegeist turns to bottles for the first releases from their ‘Rarity Series’ which launched with their Imperial Stout, called Ink. (You can see notes on their packaged releases here)
- March 2015 – The brewery announces a massive expansion, to the tune of around 10 million dollars. This includes a rooftop deck and a new, bigger brewhouse.
- October 2015 – Big growth points for Rhinegeist… they launch both their cider program, as well as their first bottle of barrel aged beer (The award-winning Sherry Ink)
- February 2016 – The brewery wins second place in the USA Today readers choice poll of favorite new breweries.
- August 2016 – Amidst rumors of a sale to “Big Beer” Rhinegeist makes their stance clear. “They will never sell” unless it’s to their employees. The brewery is still growing fast and big and moves into the Cleveland, Akron, and Canton markets, with their cider moving into Massachusetts.
- March 2017 – Rhinegeist expands into Pittsburgh.
- May 29, 2017 – The brewery partners with a local company, UDF, to release “Tropical Truth’ an ice cream flavored like their signature IPA, Truth.
- June 2017 – The owners of Rhinegeist announce plans for another brewery as well as a Marijuana Operation and dog park in the Camp Washington neighborhood.
- July 2017 – Indianapolis welcomes Rhinegeist to their shelves.
- September 2017 – getting them into the Chicago market for the first time, the brewery teams up with Calumet Breweries to distribute their beer into NW Indiana.
- February 2018 – Rhinegeist launches their “Brewcadamy” to help educate beer drinkers across Cincinnati.
Recent Posts About Rhinegeist
- Rhinegeist Teaming Up With Sun King For 10th Anniversary Collaboration
- Rhinegeist Finds A Spot In Hi-Wire’s Newest Collaborative 12pack
- Hi-Wire Brewing’s Collaboration 12-Pack Returns – This Year Featuring Rhinegeist Alongside Others
- A Rhinegeist Coffee Milk Stout Sneak Peek?
- Rhinegeist’s Rare Beer Fest Returns For Year Two.